What We Catch
Guanaja holds similar saltwater fly – fishing to Mexico and Belize. What makes Guanaja unique is we are usually the only ones fishing there!
Guanaja is a diverse Caribbean fishery surrounded by sand, turtle grass, and coral reefs. Although we mainly hunt bonefish, permit and tarpon – we fish for other species in different venues. We wade fish 65 percent of the time and fish from the boat the other 35 percent.
We hunt BIG singles reaching 10 pounds right in front of the lodge. Guanaja has several flats surrounding the island and we see schools of 10-200 fish all day long. In general, the bonefish in Guanaja are bigger than most in Belize and Mexico.
Guanaja is one of the few permit fisheries in the world! We see on average 10-50 permit a day and get SEVERAL shots. Our permit range from juveniles to full blown giants over 30 pounds. We find permit tailing on the flats all over the South Keys (our lodge is one of these keys!!!) and also fish them in the river mouths and deeper water. We use 10 weight fly rods for permit. If you are looking for a destination where you will get a many chances at catching a permit….this is the place and the amazing guide team at Fly Fish Guanaja are the ones to help make it happen!
Tarpon and Snook
We catch baby tarpon and snook where the rivers meet the flats. Our baby tarpon range from 5-40 pounds and we sight-cast to them on the moving tide. We also have big resident tarpon reaching over 100 pounds. We often get into large schools of snook and land over 20 in a season. We use 8-10 weight rods for the baby tarpon and 12 weights for the big boys!
Guanaja is surrounded by barracuda ranging from 1-40 pounds. We fish barracuda on slack tides or when they are molesting our bonefish! We enjoy watching them explode on flies and also use conventional tackle when necessary.
Every Flat has a couple of trigger fish all the time in Guanaja. The trigger fish get up to 25 pounds and are a blast to catch on a fly! They are generally more forgiving than permit and put up a wild fight!
There are several different kinds of jacks around Guanaja. We see big schools moving fast and furious and cast flies to the boiling water.